Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It is a sure mark of grace to desire more. ~Robert Murray M’Cheyne

Humans are creatures of comfort. What's more, we have even been given the potential to gain as much earthly comfort as we will ever want to seek on our own. It's a phenomenon in my mind that with all of our intelligence, technology, relational ability, our media, education and so on, that we should ever feel and suffer from mental and emotional handicaps such as depression and vanity. If your species is truly the greatest in all of those things, how is it possible that you should stop and expect anything greater? But still, greed sinks its teeth into our minds, and we begin to consider ourselves as entitled to more, rather than grateful for all that we are and all that we have. I am completely baffled that we should ever find it within ourselves to actually expect something better than what we have. Our species is the species of entitlement over appreciation, hate over protection, and excess over survival. It is in our greatest, and God-given, abilities of reason and emotion that we reach our greatest, man-accomplished, failures. It's astonishing that we could have taken something so perfect and then so easily and carelessly morphed it into a literally wicked existence, by choice.

I take it that the highest proof of Christ’s power is not that He offers salvation, not that He bids you take it if you will, but that when you reject it, when you hate it, when you despise it, He has a power whereby he can change your mind, make you think differently from your former thoughts, and turn you from the error of your ways.

C.H. Spurgeon
I'm wrapping my head around some recent thoughts on changing to become a better person.
I've come across some differing ideas on whether certain things about ourselves can even be changed, or if we are just permanently stuck with certain seemingly negative traits.
First we have to ask, "What are my negative traits? What makes them so?"
Then comes the question, "What would I need to do to change these things?"
And finally, "Can I do what is necessary?"

If a choice is what made my existence worse, than the opposite choice should be what can make it better, right?




I'm realizing through various discussions and hours of pondering on my own that the only possible way I can conclude that it's impossible to change ANYTHING about myself is through a filter in my mind which seeks comfort of self over truth. It's far easier to decide upon an answer which provides me with an eternal excuse of not attempting change--i.e., there are certain things unchangable--rather than conclude that the only thing between my current state and the possible change is that very excuse of an answer. It's my human nature to desire the "easy out" in this conclusion, but there is something within me that won't accept it.

I can't help but wonder what it is inside of me that provides me with the bravado to even hope that it's possible for me to change, and in doing so, curse myself with an eternal journey of always seeking the better choice in every situation, just to prove this conclusion of possibility as true. But does it take perfection to prove that change is possible? I don't believe so. I believe the place of proof is in each individual choice, rather than a whole perfection. It's not instant, it's not permanent. Our ability fades in and out just as our attention fades, and it's in our humility that we find it easiest to give attention to the things that really matter. The real proof exists in even finding this answer to start with, the hope of change that exists in one's heart is the very essence of the change; the betterment of oneself lies in feeling the hope for it.
So where does my arrogance of hope come from? And is it really enough to cause me to seek out the change I find myself in need of?
In my personal prayer and research, I've come to the conclusion that the thing inside of me which is causing me to find myself worth the possibility of becoming something better, is Grace.



Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.
 Jonathan Edwards

In the English New Testament the word "grace" is always a translation of χαρις (charis), a word that occurs in the Greek text something over 170 times (the reading is uncertain in places). In secular Greek of all periods it is also a very common word, and in both Biblical and secular Greek it is used with far more meanings than can be represented by any one term in English.*

Here are some definitions I found in a few different dictionaries (While there are many worldly definitions of the word grace from the following sources, for the sake of time, I am only referencing the definitions which are based on a Christian viewpoint):

Webster's New World Dictionary defines grace as
"the love and favor of God toward human beings."
Merriam-Webster:
1: Unmerited help given to people by God (as in overcoming temptation),
2: Freedom from sin through divine grace
3:A virtue coming from God

American Heritage Dictionary:
7a: Divine love and perfection bestowed on people,
b: The state of being protected by God

Oxford American Dictionary describes grace as "The free and unearned favor of God."

If you'll notice above, the underlined words point out something about to whom grace is offered. It isn't every creature in creation which God has chosen to be a vessel of his grace; it's human beings. I don't feel arrogance because I'm in the only species God has blessed with the miracle of grace, I feel gratitude and awe that He would have considered this sort of salvation for us from our otherwise fleeting and disgusting lives here on earth, and even more so, from an eternity of punishment in hell.


Grace
is God’s free and unmerited favor shown to guilty sinners who deserve only judgment.  It is the love of God shown to the unlovely.  It is God reaching downward to people who are in rebellion against Him.
 Jerry Bridges



I feel undeserving, as I should, that the Father would even blink once more in my direction after all that I've done against his name. Yet here I am with hope in my heart and unlimited power against the rulers of this world, including my own sin, simply because God loved me enough to pardon it all without any chance of repayment. He knows me better than I know myself, he knows all of my future mistakes that haven't even crossed my mind yet, and still he pardons me and blesses me with grace as if I am worth so much more.

[Grace is] the free and benevolent influence of a Holy God operating sovereignly in the lives of undeserved sinners.
 Phil Johnson
As I think on the reality of all of this, I am completely astonished about the presence of God, through grace in the form of his Spirit, in my life. But also, while not scared or nervous, I am more aware than ever of how much work needs to be done in my life, and because of this new realization, I have absolutely no excuse of why I cannot do any of it.


Grace is not simply leniency when we have sinned. Grace is the enabling gift of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon.
 John Piper



One great paradox of the Christian life is that we are fully responsible for our Christian growth and at the same time fully dependent upon the Holy Spirit to give us both the desire to grow and the ability to do it.  God’s grace does not negate the need for responsible action on our part, but rather makes it possible.

Jerry Bridges

I believe, that the work of regeneration, conversion, sanctification and faith, is not an act of man’s free will and power, but of the mighty, efficacious ad irresistible grace of God.

C.H. Spurgeon

Taking it for what it is, I know that [grace] is not present in my life because of something I've done in order to gain it. So, I go into the next part of what it means to receive grace in my life (using it to change my life) knowing that it's not about what I can do. It's about what God the Father will do with me, because of His Grace, through the work of the Holy Spirit. And I'm so thankful it's not up to me, otherwise I would be literally, hopelessly, stuck in a very wicked existence.


Grace is the good pleasure of God that inclines Him to bestow benefits upon the undeserving. It is a self-existent principle inherent in the divine nature and appears to us as a self-caused propensity to pity the wretched, spare the guilty, welcome the outcast, and bring into favor those who were before under just disapprobation. Its use to us sinful men is to save us and make us sit together in heavenly places to demonstrate to the ages the exceeding riches of God’s kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

A.W. Tozer

This is the glory and miracle of grace, that God, through the Holy Spirit, is able to transform a stubborn, rebellious, and unbelieving will into a passionate, obedient, believing will without violating the integrity of the individual or diminishing the voluntary nature of one’s decision to trust Christ for salvation.

Sam Storms

It's because of God's love, and despite my undeserving of any chance of change, that I have been given a chance at complete transformation.
And it's because of this chance that I must not ignore the things that need change in my life, regardless of how difficult a task it may be.
It's not an excuse to remain in my previously desperate state of wickedness.

Grace does not grant permission to live in the flesh; it supplies power to live in the Spirit.

John MacArthur


But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Next book up on Julie's reading list is going to be:
Transforming Grace, NavPress, 1991
Jerry Bridges





*The Meaning of Grace in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment