Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bible readings-- #1:

I've been stuck in Hebrews recently--I've re-read the entire book about 5 times in the last few weeks. Every time I go through it again I feel so renewed in my outlook about things. If you need some particular refreshing, I really, really suggest Hebrews chapter 12. Maybe it won't speak to you like it does me, but for me this chapter has been an incredible reminder that God knows so much more than I do about every thing I am going through. He knows me better than I know myself. He knows exactly what outcome is going to come from every tiny flinch or giant leap I make, which I am capable of making only because He is letting me, even the flinches. :)

Ironically--as I am so emerged in Hebrews--a woman who writes the weekly Christian inspirational emails I subscribed to awhile ago, wrote this last week's email about Hebrews 12:1-12, about being refined by God and allowing him to work in our lives. A favorite quote from this email:
"Hebrews 12:11 tells us, 'No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in it's way.'

No matter what circumstances we face, whether caused by our own actions or caused by merely living in a fallen world, God can and will work those circumstances together for our good, if we allow him to lead us through. He only asks that we remain childlike, putting our unwavering trust in his love and his desire to mature us in our faith, strengthen us in his service and bless us as his beloved children."

The last few verses in Heb. 12 puts things into perspective for me.
Verses 26-29,
When God spoke from Mount Sinai his voice shook the earth, but now he makes another promise:
"Once again I will shake not only the earth but the heavens also." [Haggai 2:6 referenced]
This means that all of creation will be shaken and removed, so that only unshakable things will remain. Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. For our God is a devouring fire.

I like to think of it this way:
Every thing we think of as important compared to God's version of importance can sometimes be similar to dirt thinking it's more important than the plants that grow in it or the sun and rain that causes those things to grow in it; forgetting the fact that we can't actually do anything on our own that is of /real/ importance, and the things we do will all be washed away eventually anyway. But the miracle lies in us, as dirt, being used by God in the process of bringing glory to his name. The fact that He even considers us all the way down in the sin and darkness from where He sits in holiness and light is what should ignite a riveting desire to forget everything we thought was important and seek Him.
As Paul says is Philippians [3:8a], "Yes, everything else is worthless /when compared/ with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus as my Lord." That's not to say that everything we do, or things we may want for ourselves are worthless, but that in comparison they don't really hold a candle to any of the real important stuff.
Paul continues in verse 8, "For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ."
To me, that's the secret to really feeling peace about stuff--keep every little thing in perspective in relation to what we have already gained, and from there nothing can touch you.

No comments:

Post a Comment